ALLEVIATING FOOD INSECURITY FOR SENIORS, ADULTS, & FAMILIES
In Tempe, one in four children lives in poverty and is at risk of going to bed hungry tonight. In a single mother-led household, this number is an alarming one in two children. TCAA's Hunger Relief programming connects people in need with a regular source for healthy food. Our comprehensive hunger relief programs were designed with the following goals in mind:
- Improving access to nutritious food to individuals and families in need
- Improving the nutritional content of food boxes with the addition of fresh, locally grown fruits and vegetables
- Improving awareness about available programs and resources to prevent hunger
- Educating individuals and families about healthy and affordable food choices that will stretch their budget and improve nutritional intake
Our Hunger Relief menu of services includes the Food Pantry, SNAP education and enrollment, and senior meal programs. Click below for additional details.
How You Can Help
Food insecurity is an issue that extends far beyond TCAA’s capacity to address it alone. A community-wide response is critical! Local businesses and community members have several options make a difference in support of hunger relief programs benefiting seniors, adults, and children in need.
- Conduct a healthy food drive on behalf of TCAA
- Educate your community about hunger issues
- Volunteer in the TCAA Food Pantry to prepare and hand out food boxes for individuals in need
- Help out at a Community Garden, Clark Park meets every 1st Saturday, and Escalante meets every 2nd and 4th Saturday.
- Volunteer to deliver meals to home-bound older adults and disabled individuals
- Attend an upcoming event, such as Tempe Empty Bowls, to support local hunger relief efforts
- Support the program financially